Sunday, October 23, 2011

Stepping Out...

A few months ago, I discovered Barefoot Running, and became quite fascinated.  Really?  What WERE these crazy people doing without shoes.  But what the heck, it's free, so it's worth a shot, right?

After a few false starts, crazy summer, and unrelated hip issue later, I decided to get off my couch, get out there, and get running again.

One thing I've noticed in the last few months of researching and reading about barefoot running, is that there are very few women barefooters.  Why is that?  And those that I did find, were these perfect, tiny, Barbie-like Boston-qualifying ladies.  While I look up to them, I'll never be there.  Where were all the "normal" ladies like me, out there plodding along in their bare feet?  I've seen lots of women like me out doing marathons, but in our big, clunky, heavy cushioned trainers.

I want to see what happens when a typical, overweight, injury-prone, 5 hour marathoner goes out and tries barefooting.  Will it be the "miracle cure" I keep hearing about for my ailments?  Will I find that I'm just too much woman to plod along unprotected on the pavement?  All I know is that so far, I'm finding a wonderful childlike joy in my bare feet hitting the pavement, crunching through fallen leaves and puddles.

Just watch out for those acorns.  Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment